Thursday, October 14, 2010

A List of People in Chile Who Have Known I was a Gringa Before Hearing a Word Come out of My Mouth

There have been many!  I always think it's kind of weird how people just KNOW I'm a gringa just by looking at me, because there are loads of sickly pale white people here, just like myself.  But it might be because I don't look like THIS lady all the time (or ever!):

 (That's a fanny pack, by the way, NOT A PURSE.  You're welcome for the flawless photoshopping.)

1.  Guy in Plaza de Armas - I was sitting by a fountain, taking in the sights like a normal resident of Santiago, NOT A TOURIST, and this guy sat down by me and said "Eres de aqui?" and I had to tell him ALL ABOUT how I was not from "aqui."

2.  Kid at the Exercise Park - I was on the body-spinning machine when this 4 or 5-year-old kid on the other spinner asked me if I was from Chile.

3.  Helado vendor in Parque O'Higgins - I went up to a helado vendor to buy a helado and before I was able to say "Un helado chirimoya, porfa" in my best Chilean accent, this guy said "Hello!" and then continued to talk to me in English throughout our helado exchange.

4.  Little girl at the place where I intern - The first time I went there and was introduced to the kids as the new volunteer, one girl said "Eres gringa?" and I was like "Si, soy de los Estados Unidos" and then she was like "MOTHERFUCKER!"

5.  Some random kid looking out a window I passed - I was walking down the street and heard a loud "HELLO!" from a random kid looking out a window.

6.  Bunch of kids in a school van I passed - I was walking down the street and a bunch of kids in a school van shouted "HELLO!" and "HI!" at me.

2 comments:

  1. So that's your interpretation of what an average young pale chilean would look like? Acid wash jeans and a fanny pack? Do people wear leg warmers when they work out?

    Well, I really think sometimes you can tell if some one is foreign just by the dress and their demeanor. I remember seeing different people at my old job and even though they were white i would still suspect of being from a different place. Sure enough I was right most of the time. A lady from Belgium, another from South Africa, or some dudes from Germany. They weren't dressed weird. Just in a slight different style. You got style and it's probably not the Chilean style. From what I can tell from your picture, it's better

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what the average Chilean YOUNG FEMALE looks like, pale or no. Yes there are leg warmers. And an astoundingly large amount of mullets.

    ReplyDelete