Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Never change, Kanye, never change

I feel like I definitely have to weigh in on this Kanye West/Taylor Swift thing, what with my  love for Kanye and his insane ramblings, and my medium-to-strong dislike for Taylor Swift's music, as well as my interest in Kanyoetry (I can. not. resist this golden opportunity, so see below for a new one). 

But let me preface my official opinion on the Taylor Diss by reviewing his most notable outbursts, excluding the Katrina thing, because that is a totally different can of worms:
 
1) That time he stormed out of the Grammys because Gretchen Wilson, the singer of "Redneck Woman" won Best New Artist over him.  Gretchen Wilson, the singer of "Redneck Woman."  You're fucking kidding me, Grammys.  CASE DISMISSED.

2) This one, at the MTV Europe Music Awards in 2006.  My favorite part is when he's like "It's nothing against you, I've never seen your video" and the other guy is like "You should watch it!"  Lolol.  He got so worked up about losing and HE NEVER EVEN SAW THE OTHER VIDEO.  He was just so fucking proud of his million-dollar video with Pam Anderson and "canyons and shit" and he simply wanted more people to know about it.  There's nothing wrong with that!  I think it's quite precious, really.  It's like he's a little kid who just got home from school where he drew an awesome picture of dinosaurs flying fighter jets while eating cheese whiz and fighting Godzilla, and he wants Mom to put it on the fridge for everyone to admire, but Mom is like "Hm, there are a lot of shopping lists and postcards on the fridge, let me see if there is room for your picture, there might not be" and so he goes "C'mon, Mom, those things are all dumb.  We are talking about a picture of DINOSAURS FLYING FIGHTER JETS WHILE EATING CHEESE WHIZ AND FIGHTING GODZILLA!!!  WHY WON'T YOU LET ME BE GREAT!?!?"  Totally understandable (also, flawless metaphor).  Was that a bit rude to stampede all over those guys' moment?  Of course, but it was also very funny!  The people in the audience think he is a riot!  They're even APPLAUDING HIM!  Those Europeans and their senses of humor that are similar to mine.

3) "I'm never coming to MTV again!"  This Kanye is kind of scary!  So much anger!  But you have to appreciate how earnest he is in his appreciation of his own work.  He just really, really wants to win all the awards.  We've all got to dream.  Also, this is the one that inspired Kanye to take a look at himself and keep that ego in check.  Maybe it does not always have to be about Kanye and his awards, just maybe. 

So you see, Kanye's outburst and public tantrums are a great source of entertainment for me.  The Taylor Swift thing did not disappoint.  It was actually quite restrained, compared to the other ones.  This was not a rant about Kanye at all.  Sure, he stormed the stage and stole the mic from Taylor so he could make an impromptu speech about his opinions, but it is important to note that his opinions were not about himself for once.  He just wanted Beyoncé to win for her awesome video!  It was one of the best of all time!  (Personally, I think Beyoncé's video was much better, duh, plus it inspired hundreds, literally thousands, of look-a-like videos on YouTube and elsewhere, and it has the rare distinction of being one of the few videos I have seen this year.  I have not seen Taylor Swift's video, but that's not important, not at all!  Not that this whole thing actually matters, because the VMAs don't matter, they are for tweenage girls who love Twilight and Taylor Swift.  I am too old for this, really!  But as long as there is a chance of a Kanye Ego Explosion, you can color me interested.)  He has been working on his ego!  Good job, Kanye!  I knew you could do it!

Of course, it was mean of him to steal Taylor Swift's moment and rain on her video parade.  It was a dickish move, sure.  And now a lot more people think Kanye is an incorrigible asshole.  Certainly all of the tween girls and Taylor Swift-heads in the audience hate him now, they were booing quite furiously!  I thought it was funny, but who cares (seriously, Beyoncé's reaction shot?  Hilarious.  She's like "Oh Kanye, stop it!  You are TOO.  MUCH!").  And at the very least, this incident will provide Taylor Swift with something new to sing about once she gets tired of princesses and castles and unicorns (but that may never happen, because if you're still thinking about fairy tales when you are AN ADULT you will probably never stop thinking about fairy tales). 

In summation, I don't mind that Kanye is a crazy ego-maniacal asshole because he is so very entertaining, and I think his outbursts are endearing in a weird way.  So keep 'em coming, Kanye!  Shine on you crazy, craaaaazy diamond! 

And here is a new haiku from his original apology, which is the most unapologetic apology I have ever read (he said sorry to Taylor's mom, but not Taylor?  And what award did he give to Outkast?  I don't believe that for one second):

Not Crazy, Just Real


No disrespect, but

A fan of real pop culture
Apologize 2MRW

2 comments:

  1. Kanye West is my pop star hero. He pretty much made the VMAs news worthy all by himself.

    No one is talking about the actual awards and who got video of the year, who was Beyonce by the way. Yeah, MTV nominated her for best video of the year but not best female video. Got to throw the Taylor Swifts a bone I guess and give her a plug, either way it just shows how silly these awards are.

    But like I said, no one would care about the fact that Taylow Swift won that award if it wasn't for Kanye. No one would be talking about it. I have to think that he knows what hes doing, hes getting the attention and press and working all that to his and the shows advantage. There's no such thing as bad press, well maybe if you rip up a photo of the pope on tv but this is some country singer. Besides, I really don't think his fans are going to be like "Argh this outburst of many is the last straw! I am no longer a fan!" He has got to know what he was doing and even if he really didn't and was drunk, he still pretty much came out winning in the end. It was hilarious anyways.

    I, for one, welcome more crazy outbursts.

    Nice Haiku by the way. Tried to make one for the actual outburst but it didnt work out so well

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with you. i applaud kanye for his brilliance in getting more press. I mean really, who else has had the guts or even the brain capacity for that?

    no one.

    he's the man.

    ReplyDelete